We’re very happy to announce the recent launch of the new Google Ventures identity and web site. Congratulations to everyone involved! It was a terrific, successful collaborative effort with the Google Ventures team, and we’re excited to see the new site and brand come to life.
Google Ventures is the new venture investment arm of Google. They came to Sequence with a vision for taking their brand to the next level, and manifesting this new vision in both a core visual identity, business system, and new web site. We were excited by the opportunity and jumped in with our strategy and design hats firmly attached.
Google Ventures had a number of goals for the redesign project:
- Strike the right balance between Google’s “scrappy,” young and slightly irreverent brand, and that of a trusted and sophisticated venture capital business
- Provide adequate differentiation from more traditional VCs
- Create a website and overall design system that are scalable enough to support future portfolio expansion
- Highlight the unique connection to the larger Google network — 20,000 strong and growing — while still reflecting the actual degree of autonomy between Google Ventures and Google Inc.
- Create a great user experience for site visitors (entrepreneurs, partners and investors) that highlights Google Ventures’ uniqueness, personality and portfolio
The Sequence solution
Like all of our design projects, we started this one by first digging into their business strategy, and then matching the clients objectives with the needs of their audiences. Here’s how we approached the Google Ventures design:
- Use photography extensively to provide a rich visual experience distinct from parent Google’s minimalist approach, and to offer a more engaging experience than that created by other VCs
- Keep the site as simple as possible, but no simpler, while allowing for future portfolio expansion
- Pursue an editorial strategy that focuses on short, crisp messages that help establish the brand as approachable, trustworthy and smart
- Use all-Google technologies under the hood (e.g., Blogger, Google Analytics, JS libraries, highly optimized code)
In a nutshell
We’re very proud to have helped Google launch this new brand and we can’t wait to see what new ventures they help bring into the world.